Friday, August 15, 2008

~~Hawaii~~ (part 2)

~~~~~~Pearl Harbor~~~~~~

There are not really any words that can express the somberness of the experience of being there. I know the kids don't get the full magnitude of the events that day; for that matter, I am not sure I can wrap my head around it. The memorial was beautifully thought out and I am very glad that we went as they are working on raising funds to re-do some of the memorial. The names of the men lost that day was huge and the name of survivors who have sense past was so small; it surely is a great reminder of the loss of that day! The two things that stick out in my mind the most are the one display they have that held pieces to one of those lost; who he was... pictures from his high-school, pictures of him and his wife, a letter he once wrote her, the uniform he wore and the letter sent to his wife after his death. The other was the footage they show prior to taking you to the memorial site; I didn't realize they had so much footage from that day.




No comments: